Ref: K004

Lyons

 
Townland: Lyons Parish: Lyons
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 297506(E), 228476(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B15-03 (Lyons Church and Carvings) Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD015-004002- Graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Rubble stone wall in good condition. It is intact, but overgrowing. It is approximately 2m high and '1/2 barrel' coping (cut stone).
 
Natural Heritage Details: Trees/vegetation throughout. There is a hedgerow along the western side of the path leading to the church, separating it from the graves. Lichens cover 10-20% of the headstones and ivy 25% of the walls. It is currently being weeded and cleared.
 
Description: Rural, surrounded by pasture fields, behind the farmhouse. A handful of headstones are upright, but most are leaning and broken. 17th to 20th century. Undulating ground surface. There are roughly laid gravel paths. There is one unlocked gate in the western wall, but the gate to church in the north-west corner is locked. The farm office has a key. The Aylmer, Cloncurry and lawless family are all in coffins in the chapel. Two families are still using the graveyard. Located on the 6" First Edition map from 1837.
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest, attesting to the long-standing ecclesiastical presence in the area. The remains of a medieval church survives with both nave and chancel and several blocked up windows intact. Features of note are a medieval font and armorial plaque which have a relatively rare survival rate. The site is partly maintained.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: "The Association for the Preservation of Memorials of the Dead, in Ireland"
Location: Irish Family Research

Website Development: Kildare Web Services