Ref: K005

Ballynafagh

 
Townland: Ballynafagh Parish: Clane (Ballynafagh)
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 281751(E), 229736(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD013-005003
 
Boundary Treatment: Rubble stone wall, 1m high approx.
 
Natural Heritage Details: One mature tree in the NE corner of the enclosure; hedgerows along the northern boundary, mostly on the west side; brambles on church ruin; area covered by mown grass; lichens visible on 80-90% of headstones and walls; ivy on 10-20% of walls.
 
Description: K005 is located in a rural setting. Two associated churches are marked on the 1st edition OS 6" map, but the graveyard is not specifically mentioned. One of the churches is described as being in ruins on the 1897-1913 OS 25" map. The graveyard is also marked. The graveyard is accessed via a gate in the SW corner of the boundary wall. The field in which the graveyard is located is accessed via a gate directly from the road. The ground surface within the enclosure is undulating. The older church (8x4m approx.) is located on a mound. The north wall and the base of the eastern gable wall survive. The more recent of the two churches measures approx. 20x11m. A sacristy projecting from the east end of the north side measures 6x5m approx. This church is almost fully upstanding. There are no paths within the enclosure, but there is a path through the field leading to the graveyard.
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest, attesting to the long-standing ecclesiastical presence in the area. The boundary wall is breached and crumbling on the north side. The site contains a well-preserved early 19th Century church which is without a roof. The older church is likely to have been the original medieval parish one. The headstones are generally upright and straight, but some are leaning and a very small number are broken. There is a lot of rubble in and west of the older church. Features of note are the finials and buttresses of the church, gate piers and a well proportioned boundary wall.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: S. Cullen and D O'Leary
Location: County Archive, Newbridge

Website Development: Kildare Web Services