Ref: K008

Bride's Graveyard

 
Townland: Waterstown Parish: Brideschurch
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 287421(E), 222210(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD019-002002
 
Boundary Treatment: Modern wooden fence
 
Natural Heritage Details: Three mature trees dispersed throughout the enclosure and one centrally located young tree; site fully covered by semi-natural grassland with briars throughout; lichens visible on all headstones; ivy covering large most of structural remains.
 
Description: K008 is located in the middle of a grassy field on a stud farm. Brides Church and graveyard are marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 OS 25" map. It can only be accessed by walking cross country from a private farm road. The original boundary (if any) is no longer present. There are two openings in the north side of the modern wooden fence which give access. The enclosed area has no paths, is very overgrown and the ground surface is very uneven. There is an overgrown, ruined church at the east end. Only the SE corner survives above weed level. The corner measures approx. 5x5m. This was the full extent of the N-S oriented wall, but not the E-W. It appears to have been quite a simple rubble stone construction. The only visible gravestones are at the west end in the shade of a mature tree.
 
Appraisal: The site is of archaeological, architectural and historic interest, attesting to the long-standing ecclesiastical presence in the area. It is very overgrown. The only visible gravestones are worn down to stumps and none are legible. Other gravestones could be felt underfoot through the weeds. The grounds are neglected and headstones are in generally poor condition, a situation which if unchecked will make the graveyard vulnerable to further degradation.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Location: See www.irishfamilyresearch.co.uk

Website Development: Kildare Web Services