Ref: K009

Kerdiffstown

 
Townland: Kerdiffstown Parish: Kerdiffstown
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 291505(E), 222238(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD019-006003
 
Boundary Treatment: Original boundary (if there was one) is non extant. A modern wire fence surrounds the site on three sides.
 
Natural Heritage Details: 50-100 mature and 50-100 young tree dispersed throughout the site; gravestones, church ruins, trees and ground surface are overgrown with ivy and brambles; lichen visible on all headstones.
 
Description: K009 is located on lands owned and used by the St. Vincent de Paul Society. The church is marked on the 1st edition OS 6" map as being in ruins. The church and graveyard are both marked on the 1897-1913 OS 25" map. It is located on the west side of a long driveway leading to Kerdiffstown House. The site is open on the driveway side so there is no gate. There are no paths. A ruined church/chapel (11x5m approx.) is located approximately 10m from the driveway. There are remains of all four walls, but only the eastern wall survives to any great extent. The entire burial area and church are overgrown with weeds, ivy, briars, trees etc. The ground surface is very uneven. A gravestone just east of the church bears a 17th Century date, but the stone itself appears more recent. The grave belongs to a previous owner of Kerdiffstown House.
 
Appraisal: The site is of archaeological, architectural and historic interest, attesting to the long-standing ecclesiastical presence in the area. The grounds are neglected and headstones are in generally poor condition, a situation which if unchecked will make the graveyard vulnerable to further degradation. The survivng remains of a medieval parish church suvive but are poorly preserved.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services