Ref: K010

Palmerstown

 
Townland: Palmerstown Parish:
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 292111(E), 221581(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD019-014002
 
Boundary Treatment: Rough coursed stone wall (topped by railings on the road side). Less than 1m high without railings, 1.5m with railings.
 
Natural Heritage Details: 30-50 mature and 30-50 young trees mainly around boundaries; a limited amount of semi-natural grassland within the church ruin; brambles on all boundaries except NW; mown grass covering whole site except paths; lichen on all headstones; ivy on church ruins, boundaries and mature trees.
 
Description: The site is located within the village of Johnstown. The graveyard and church ("in ruins") are marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 OS 25" map. It is accessed via a gate in the middle of the NW boundary wall. The gate opens onto a gravel path which leads to and around the church ruin which occupies the centre of the enclosure. The church is approximately 14x6m and is upstanding to varying degrees on all 4 sides. The roof is missing. The ground within the enclosure is higher than outside and the surface is somewhat uneven off the paths. Ground level within the enclosure is the same height as the top of the boundary wall except on the road side.
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest, attesting to the long-standing ecclesiastical presence in the area. The east gable end of the church has a double ogee-headed window. All other sides of the church also survive but to a lesser extent. The boundary walls are overgrown on all sides except the front (NW) side, but are structurally sound. The gravestones are generally in poor condition but are of artistic interest. Most are leaning and very worn and illegible. Most graves are free of vegetation and date from 18th-20th Centuries.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services