Ref: K013

Abbey graveyard

 
Townland: Naas West Parish: Naas
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 289162(E), 219602(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD019-030021
 
Boundary Treatment: Rough coursed stone wall, 1-2m high; damaged on NE side.
 
Natural Heritage Details: 10-15 mature trees mostly lining eastern and southern boundaries and 5-10 young trees dispersed throughout; the Grand Canal runs just west of the site; mown grass covers the entire site other than paths; lichens are visible on all gravestones; ivy is present on boundary walls.
 
Description: K013 is located on the eastern bank of the Grand Canal in the town of Naas. It is marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 OS 25" map. There is a gate in the middle of the western boundary which is locked an unnecessary as a large gap in the NW corner of the boundary now serves as an official access point directly from the road. A gravel path runs around the inside of the boundary walls with a gap of 2-3m between the path and the wall. Ground level is lower on the west side of the enclosure than it is outside, but the reverse is true on the east side. The ground surface of the path is somewhat uneven. There are no structures within the enclosure. Most gravestones appear to date from the 19th century, but some worn examples are almost certainly older. There appears to have been a relatively recent clearance of vegetation from the area.
 
Appraisal: The graveyard is of considerable social interest having been established originally for the interment of the nuns of the nearby convent. The boundary wall is slightly damaged on the NE side and was previously damaged, but repaired on the west side. The gravestones are in variable condition, but a high percentage are worn and leaning. The large number of worn gravestones and small tree stumps, coupled with the rubbish scattered around the site gives the area an untidy look. Features of note are the gateway with an early iron gate.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: Naas Local History Group 1987
Location: Co. Kildare Online Electronic History Journal

Website Development: Kildare Web Services