Ref: K016

Kilteel

 
Townland: Kilteel Upper Parish: Kilteel
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 298577(E), 221163(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD020-007010 - graveyard National Monument-Ref. 275
 
Boundary Treatment: Rough coursed stone wall ,1.5-2m high
 
Natural Heritage Details: 10-20 mature trees; fully covered by semi-natural grassland, except within church ruin; church ruin and boundary wall overgrown with brambles and ivy; lichens visible on 95% of gravestones; ivy cover on trees and some gravestones.
 
Description: K016 is located on private property in a rural setting. It is marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" inch map and the 1897-1913 OS 25 map. The associated church is described as being in ruins on the latter map. The walled enclosure can only be accessed by walking cross country from a field gate on the roadside. It is directly accessed via a (locked) gate at the east end of the south side with adjacent stone steps leading up and over the wall. Ground level within the enclosure is higher than outside except for the centrally located church ruin (19x5m approx.) which is at a lower level than the burial area. There are no internal paths and the ground surface is overgrown and uneven. The church is upstanding on all four sides, but the south side survives to the greatest height. There are remains of the wall separating the chancel and nave which has relief sculpted faces with Celtic designs and other decorative elements. There is a font against the inside of the northern wall. There are other medieval structural remains in fields to the north of the graveyard. There are also earthworks in the vicinity of the graveyard. Legible gravestones date from 18th -20th century.
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest, attesting to the long-standing ecclesiastical presence in the area dating to the Pre-Norman period and as such is rated as a national monument. The site is poorly maintained. Features of note are a baptismal font and a well preserved church which has several sculpted faces along the wall separating the nave and chancel.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: C. Manning. 1979
Location: Co. Kildare Online Electronic History Journal

Website Development: Kildare Web Services