Ref: K017

Knavinstown

 
Townland: Knavinstown Parish: Knavinstown
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 268416(E), 214380(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B22-12 Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD022-011001
 
Boundary Treatment: Rough coursed stone wall with soldier coping, 1.5m high approx.
 
Natural Heritage Details: Full coverage by mown grass except plots; lichens visible on 20% of gravestones; extensive ivy coverage on surviving church wall.
 
Description: K017 is located in a rural setting. It is marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 OS 25" map. The ruined church is marked on the latter, but not on the former. The site is accessed directly from a local road via a gate in the SE corner of the boundary wall. Four concrete steps lead up from the gate into the enclosure. The ground level is much higher inside the enclosure than outside. On the north and east sides, only the coping in visible above ground level within the enclosure. The ground slopes away to the west near the western boundary. The grass is short and the ground surface is even in spite of the general slope. There are no upstanding buildings, but remains of a wall 6m long and oriented NNE-SSW are located in the middle of the east side almost against the boundary wall. It is extremely overgrown. It presumably represents the remains of the associated church. It was probably the eastern wall of the building. Gravestones date from 18th-21st century.
 
Appraisal: The site is of some archaeological, architectural and historic interest, attesting to the long-standing ecclesiastical presence in the area. There is only the possible fragmentary remains of the original church. Artistic value at the site can be seen in the variety of headstones spanning several centuries. The site is well maintained.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services