Ref: K019

Ballybracken Graveyard

 
Townland: Fasagh Parish: Monasterevin
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 265710(E), 206287(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD026-010001 - graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Stone wall on roadside; earthen bank with hedgerow for the remainder of the boundary.
 
Natural Heritage Details: Two mature trees; 10-12 young trees; hedgerow around most of the boundary; semi-natural grassland; mown grass at entrance
 
Description: Located in rural area of arable and pasture land. The site is a recorded monument (church and graveyard). The dates of headstones appear to from the 19th century onwards. The remains of possible medieval church can seen in the graveyard. Some burials are located within the church remains (a common practice). The grass is quite high throughout most of the site except at the entrance. Marked on OS Map (1837) as 'Church and Graveyard' and on later OS map (1897-1913) as 'Ballybracken Graveyard' and 'Church (in ruins)'
 
Appraisal: Dating to a period before 1700 the church, now in ruins, is of archaeological importance dating to the medieval period. Most of the existing headstones date to 19th century . The various cut-stone grave markers are of artistic interest and represent a high quality of craftsmanship and stone masonry.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Location: Co. Kildare Online Electronic History Journal

Website Development: Kildare Web Services