Ref: K022

Nurney Old Cemetery

 
Townland: Nurney Parish: Nurney
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 270510(E), 205520(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B27-09 (Nurney Roman Catholic Church) Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD027-027001- Graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Stone wall in good condition and 1.5m high.
 
Natural Heritage Details: 5-10 deciduous conifers throughout and 5-10 young trees/bushes. Overgrown brambles/briars/ivy on ruined church and walls. Regularly mown grass and butterflies. There is also ivy on some headstones.
 
Description: Rural, adjacent to pasture field. Undulating ground surface and it's higher within the graveyard than the ground around. The burials date from the 18th to 20th century. Headstones mostly upright. On the 6" First Edition map from 1837.
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest, attesting to the long-standing ecclesiastical presence in the area. The remains of a medieval parish church is located within the grounds with the east gable and side walls surviving. The various cut-stone grave markers are of artistic interest and represent a high quality of craftsmanship and stone masonry.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: "The Association for the Preservation of Memorials of the Dead, in Ireland"
Location: Co. Kildare Online Electronic History Journal

Website Development: Kildare Web Services