Ref: K028

Gaganstown Church

 
Townland: Gaganstown Parish: Ballymore Eustace (Jago)
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 289307(E), 209093(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD029-013001 - graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Earthen bank
 
Natural Heritage Details: Mature trees throughout the site and around the boundary; Overgrown with ivy and shrubs.
 
Description: The graveyard is located within a small wood located in the grounds of Annfield House. It is marked on the OS 1837 edition as 'Church' and 'Grave Yard'. The site can be seen within the small wood on this map. The later OS 25 inch map (1897-1913) names the 'Church in ruins' and 'Graveyard'. A laneway is also shown leading from the main avenue into the graveyard. This lane is all but obscured now by heavy vegetation growth. The headstones date from the 18th-20th centuries. The headstone types are rounded and railed. Stone type is mostly of limestone and occasional slate. Many of the headstones are obscured ivy and other vegetation and many have also fallen over. The partial remains of the church can be made out but very little remains. The last burial took place in the 1950s. The name of the civil parish is Jago. Jago was a pilgrimage destination in medieval times. After making a pilgrimage to Jago the returning priests established the church and named the parish, Jago. This later became anglicised to Gaganstown (pers. comm. Landowner).
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest, attesting to the long-standing ecclesiastical presence in the area. The remains of the medieval parish church of Gaganstown barely survives amongst the heavily overgrown site. Headstones are extant throughout the site but movement is very restricted and a full appraisal is not possible.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services