Ref: K040

Grey Abbey

 
Townland: Kildare Parish: Kildare and Rathangan (Kildare)
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 272724(E), 211944(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD022-029067 - graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Rough coursed stone wall, 1.5-2m high.
 
Natural Heritage Details: 30-40 mature and 10-20 young trees dispersed throughout; abbey ruins overgrown with brambles and ivy; full coverage by mown grass except area covered by Abbey; limited ivy cover on boundary walls.
 
Description: K040 is located at the southern extremity of Kildare town. It is marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 OS 25" map. The site is accessed directly from the R415 via a gate at the SW end of the Se boundary wall. There are no paths within the enclosure. The ground surface is uneven in places due to mounds associated with burials, but these mounds are clearly visible due to the short grass. The ground undulates gently. A ruined Franciscan Abbey (35x8m approx.) occupies the SW corner of the site. The ruin contains two undated grave markers. Legible gravestones date from 18th-20th century (mostly 19th and 20th).
 
Appraisal: The site has the remains of a Franciscan Abbey is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest, attesting to the long-standing ecclesiastical presence in the area and was inscribed on the Register of Historic Monuments in 2000. The gravestones of cut-stone span a period of three centuries and are of an artistic, and where legibile, an historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: FAS/Mario Corrigan- Grey Abbey Conservation Project
Location: Co. Kildare Online Electronic History Journal

Website Development: Kildare Web Services