Ref: K043

Lullymore Graveyard

 
Townland: Lullymore East Parish: Lullymore
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 271075(E), 225488(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B12-01 Lullymore Monastic Enclosure Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD012-006005- Graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Rubble stone wall in good condition. It is intact, but covered in lichens. It is approximately 1m high and has 'Soldier' coping.
 
Natural Heritage Details: The grass is mown regularly. The headstones and walls are 25% covered with lichens.
 
Description: Rural, surrounded by pasture field with cattle in it, behind the farmhouse. All the headstones are upright and date from the 19th to the 21st century. This was also the location of a monastery, established in the 5th century by St. Patrick or St. Erc, the info panels contradict each other. The ground surface is undulating with a low mound in the middle and bumps. There is a cross and altar in the middle of the back eastern wall. There is one unlocked gate in the western wall. It is on the 6" First Edition map from 1837.
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest, attesting to the long-standing ecclesiastical presence in the area. Two ecclesiastical enclosures and other earthworks are located within the site. No trace of the medieval parish church survive the reported font could not be located..The graveyard contains mostly 19th century headstones. The site has been rennovated and levelled and it is possible that archaeological features were lost during this process. Features of note are a collection of cross-inscribed stones incorporated in a memorial to the N of the site.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: Unknown
Location: County Archive, Newbridge

Website Development: Kildare Web Services