Ref: K046

Donaghcumper Cemetery

 
Townland: Donaghcumper Parish: Donaghcumper
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 298148(E), 233146(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B11-02 Donaghcumper Medieval Church Ruins Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD011-013002- Graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Rubble stone in good condition. Intact, but overgrown in places. It is approximately 1m high with crenelations on top. There is also a separation wall within as the graveyard was extended southwards.
 
Natural Heritage Details: Cypress and pine trees, and vegetation throughout disturbing the headstones. Regularly mown grass to the old graveyard and church.
 
Description: Rural, west of the village of Celbridge. Most headstones are upright, but a handful are leaning, mostly on the older side. The headstones in the older side are 18th to early 19th century and in the modern cemetery 19th to 21st century. Level ground surface, but the church ruins are on a squarish mound with a shallow ditch around it. This is probably the reason that the headstones are leaning here. There are tarmac paths in the modern cemetery, but they are starting to cove with moss. There is a modern altar in the modern cemetery. There are at least three unlocked gates in the north wall and one stile. The church is on the 6" First Edition map from 1837 and the graveyard is on the 25" Second Edition map from 1897-1913, where the church is marked as in ruins.
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest, attesting to the long-standing ecclesiastical presence in the area and is a pre-Norman foundation. The existing remains are however from the 17th Century and consist of a nave and chancel. Features of note are a round arch which divides the nave and chancel, a well-preserved gabled porch and water stoop. The chancel is lit by ogee-headed window in the E gable. Of historic interest is the vault of the Alen family located in the chapel floor. The headstones date from the 18th and 19th centuries.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: "The Association for the Preservation of Memorials of the Dead, in Ireland"
Location: Irish Family Research

Website Development: Kildare Web Services