Ref: K047

Ticknevin

 
Townland: Ticknevin Parish: Clonbulloge (Kilpatrick)
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 269646(E), 229892(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD012-012002 - graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: None
 
Natural Heritage Details: Semi-natural grassland throughout; young alder growing out of the side of the church; overgrown with brambles round and within the church; lichen on walls; ivy on walls (75%).
 
Description: The graveyard is located in pastureland. It is marked on the 1st edition OS map from 1837 as 'Grave Yard' a church is also marked to the west of the graveyard as 'RC Chapel in ruins'. The later OS 25 inch map (1897-1913) does not record either the graveyard or the church. There is no surrounding boundary wall but the graveyard is recognisable by the ruined church and uneven ground around it. There are no visible grave markers or paths. The church measures about 12m by 7m, the W gable wall does not survive. The structure is overgrown with vegetation. Alder is present and be particularly damaging to structures.
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest with the remains of a late medieval church of uncoursed limestone rubble. The W gable is missing but features of note are a round segmental arched doorway and a flat segmental arched window in the E gable. No grave markers visible and the grounds are in a somewhat neglected state.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services