Ref: K051

Ballybought Church

 
Townland: Ballybought Parish:
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 291713(E), 207193(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD029-022001 - graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Earthen bank/ditch; post and wire fencing.
 
Natural Heritage Details: Mature beech trees throughout boundary; semi-natural grassland.
 
Description: The graveyard is located in pastureland. It is marked on the 1st edition OS map of 1837 as 'Church in ruins' and 'Graveyard'. The boundary of the graveyard is well defined by an earthen bank and mature beech trees. It is entered through a small iron gate. The headstones date from the 18th-20th centuries. There are the remains of the medieval parish church of Ballybought. The church is in a poor state of preservation with only a few courses of stone on the side walls surviving.
 
Appraisal: The site is of archaeological interest attested by the poorly preserved medieval church which only survives several courses from the ground up. The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 18th-20th centuries, which are of artistic interest. The site is in a derelict condition.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: "The Association for the Preservation of Memorials of the Dead, in Ireland"
Location: www.irishfamilyresearch.co.uk

Website Development: Kildare Web Services