Ref: K054

Belan

 
Townland: Belan Parish: Belan
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 277173(E), 190577(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD038-001001
 
Boundary Treatment: Modern field boundaries only.
 
Natural Heritage Details: Site fully covered by semi-natural grassland.
 
Description: The site is located in a small, apparently disused field north of a farm yard and separated from a cornfield to the west by an electric fence and another to the east by a rough coursed stone wall. The graveyard is marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 OS 25" map. The latter map records the location as the site of a church. There are no visible gravestones on the site, but a low mound (the high point in the area) contained more stone than the surrounding area. This stone was more likely to be structural than to relate to burials. The remains of this structure are oriented E-W. The structure is not clearly defined, but it would be less than 15m x less than 10m. The ground surface in the field is uneven. The mound is covered by relatively long grass and weeds. Areas of shorter, different coloured grass may define the above structure.
 
Appraisal: The site is of archaeological interest owing to the slight visible remains of a nave and chancel of a medieval parish church. The fragments of an octagonal font and base lie in the nave mostly obscured by vegetation.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services