Ref: K055

Killelan Church

 
Townland: Killelan Parish: Killelan
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 280500(E), 190960(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B38-04 (church) Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD038-006001
 
Boundary Treatment: Rough coursed stone wall, 1.5m high.
 
Natural Heritage Details: 5-10 young trees dispersed throughout; site fully covered by semi-natural grassland; extensive coverage of northern boundary wall by ivy and brambles; limited ivy cover on church tower and all other boundary walls; lichens visible on all headstones.
 
Description: K055 is located in a rural setting. The grave yard and church (already in ruins) are marked on both the 1st Edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 OS 25" map. It is accessed directly from a local road via a gate and adjacent gap in the wall at the southern end of the western boundary wall. There are no paths within the enclosure, but a track, formed by use, leads to the ruined square church tower which occupies a position east of centre of the enclosure. The church would have extended further west. There is a ruined round tower attached to the NW corner of the square tower. The ground level within the enclosure is higher than outside. The ground surface is uneven and overgrown with long grass. Most gravestones are east and south of the church tower. There are none visible to the NW. Legible gravestones date from 18th -20th century (mostly 18th-19th).
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest, attesting to the long-standing ecclesiastical presence in the area. A fortified church consisting of a substantial tower with the foundations of a nave survives on site. Features of note are the barrel vault within the tower, two large windows a piscina and a spiral staircase. An abbey was supposed to have located at this site which lends further archaeological interest. The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 18th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest. The boundary walls are fully upstanding and apparently structurally sound, but the eastern half of the northern boundary is very overgrown.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: Schools Project (1970s)
Location: Co. Kildare Online Electronic History Journal

Website Development: Kildare Web Services