Ref: K057

Dunmurry Graveyard

 
Townland: Dunmurry East Parish: Kildare and Rathangan (Dunmurry)
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 272091(E), 216216(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B22-06 Burial Ground Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD022-003001
 
Boundary Treatment: A low dry built wall is visible on the NE side of the enclosure. It is topped with vegetation. The other sides have a bank of similar height topped with vegetation. The bank may have a wall at its core.
 
Natural Heritage Details: 20-30 mature and 10-15 young trees mostly lining boundaries; a hedgerow defines a plot in the centre of the east side of the enclosure; full coverage by semi-natural grassland; lichens visible on 95% of gravestones; ivy on boundaries and trees.
 
Description: K057 is located in a rural setting. It is marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 OS 25" map. It is accessed directly from a local road via a pedestrian gate at the SE of the SW boundary. There are no internal paths or structures. The ground surface is quite uneven due to the reasonably long grass and the presence of unmarked graves. Mounds associated with these graves are felt underfoot and are sometimes visible. Gravestones date from 18th-late 20th century, though most are 19th and 20th century. There is a family group in the NW corner of the enclosure. A line of gravestones all bear the surname Medlicott.
 
Appraisal: The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 18th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest. The majority of the headstones date to the 20th century. There are no visible traces of the church. The boundaries are in good condition.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services