Ref: K058

Churchland East

 
Townland: Churchland East Parish:
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 276760(E), 208000(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD028-042001 - graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Stone wall (limestone) with flat coping; double iron gates with pedestrian entrance at other end. Parts of the wall are collapsing in places.
 
Natural Heritage Details: Several mature conifers; mown grass; moss and lichen on walls and headstones; earthen paths are sprayed with herbicide.
 
Description: The graveyard is located in pasture fields beside a local road. The site is marked on the 1st edition OS map (1837) as 'grave yard', and is shown enclosed by a semi-circular boundary. The older part of the graveyard is located on a mound/elevated ground which may be a re-used ringfort or monastic enclosure. The headstones date from the 19th-20th centuries. The types of headstones are Celtic, round, kerb, railed and metal crosses.
 
Appraisal: The site is of archaeological and historic interest. No trace of a church survive. The graveyard is located on a low mound which may be a possible re-use of an earlier archaeological site. Features of note are a well made limestone boundary wall which encloses all sides of the graveyard and two wrought iron gated entrances.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services