Ref: K059

Ardreigh

 
Townland: Ardree Parish: Ardree
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 268826(E), 192422(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD035-032005
 
Boundary Treatment: Rough coursed stone wall, 1.5-2m high
 
Natural Heritage Details: 10-20 mature and 5-10 young trees dispersed throughout; full coverage by mown grass; lichens visible on 95% of headstones; ivy visible on boundary walls trees and some gravestones.
 
Description: K059 is located in a rural setting just south of Athy. The site of a church is marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 OS 25" map, but the graveyard is only specifically mentioned on the former. The site is accessed directly from the R417 by a (locked) gate in the NW corner and by adjacent stone steps. This gate opens onto a short, narrow track which leads south into the graveyard proper. There are no paths within the graveyard and the ground surface is uneven. Ground level is much higher within the enclosure than it is outside. The grass is quite tall, but would not quite be categorised as semi-natural grassland. There are no definite structures within the enclosure, but there is a wall in the middle of the south end of the enclosure which is visible on the south facing side, but the ground level to the north is built up in front of it. It is only just over 2m long, but clearly turns to the north at the east and west ends. Rather than being connected with a building, it may simply be connected with plot definition. There is a similar structure just to the east. Legible inscriptions date from 19th and 20th century.
 
Appraisal: The site is of archaeological and historic interest, attesting to the long-standing ecclesiastical presence in the area. No trace survives of the medieval church survives which was granted to St Thomas's Abbey, Dublin in the late 12th century. The boundary wall is generally upstanding and is of uncoursed limestone but is damaged in places and is quite overgrown. The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 19th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: FAS
Location: Co. Kildare Online Electronic History Journal

Website Development: Kildare Web Services