Ref: K060

Yew Tree Graveyard

 
Townland: Clogheen Parish: Lackagh
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 261619(E), 214117(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B21-01 Yew Tree Graveyard Clogheen Monesterevin Ecclesiastical remains Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD021-001003- Graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Wire fence in good condition. Stable. Iron gate and granite stone piers.
 
Natural Heritage Details: Mature beech and ash trees along boundary. Lichen and moss on the headstones. Thistles and ivy on the ground. Sycamore tree by gate.
 
Description: On elevated ground. The headstones date from the 18th to 20th centuries, and a large amount of 18th century headstones in good condition. The inscriptions survives well. Someone has painted over the inscriptions to make them legible. There are Celtic, kerb set and metal headstones, which have been rearranged and placed in short rows and set in concrete. On the 6" First Edition map from 1837, but only called the Yew Tree graveyard on the 25" Second Edition map from 1897-1913.
 
Appraisal: The site is of archaeological and historic interest. No trace of the church survives. The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 18th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest. Many of the inscriptions from the 18th century are very well preserved. Features of note are a set of cut granite gate piers and the mature ash and beech trees which form the boundary of the enclosure.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: Monasterevin Historical Society
Location: Co. Kildare Online Electronic History Journal

Website Development: Kildare Web Services