Ref: K061

Coghlanstown West

 
Townland: Coghlanstown West Parish:
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 289691(E), 210337(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B29-07 Ruined Church and Base of Cross Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD029-005004 - graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Stone wall on the N side; post and wire fence on all other sides.
 
Natural Heritage Details: Mature ewe tree; mown grass; lichen on wall and headstones; ivy on wall and church.
 
Description: The graveyard is located in pasture land adjacent to a farmhouse. It is marked on the 1st edition OS map of 1837 as 'Church' and 'Grave Yard'. By the time of the later OS 25 inch map (1897-1913) the church is in ruins. There is a holy well names as 'St James's Well' and 'Base of Cross' and 'Shaft of Cross'. The headstones date from the 18th-20th centuries. The headstone types are: rounded, Celtic style , railed and kerbed. There is a simple cross type mad e of granite located against the E wall of the church. The stone type is predominantly limestone. The church is a good state of preservation with all walls intact. There is heavy ivy growth on the church walls. Inside the church is overgrown. There are remains of steps leading to a second floor. A holy water stoop is located within the church dated 1462. A possible baptismal font is located within the graveyard (granite).
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest, attesting to the long-standing ecclesiastical presence in the area. The remains of a fortified church with some external mortar still preserved. All walls stand close to full height and the W gable has the remains of a belfry. Access to the wall walks was via a spiral staircase part of which survives. . There are ogee-headed windows in the E gable and S walls. Other features of note are a granite font and cross base. The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 18th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services