Ref: K065

St. Mullin's

 
Townland: Timolin Parish: Timolin
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 280076(E), 193231(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD036-025007
 
Boundary Treatment: Rough coursed stone wall, 1.5-2.5m high approx.
 
Natural Heritage Details: 20-30 mature trees mostly ling path to church from the west and 30-40 young trees mostly lining southern boundary; mown grass covers approx. 70% of the site; lichens visible on 70% of gravestones; varying degrees of ivy cover on boundary walls.
 
Description: The site is located in the town of Timolin. It is marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 OS 25" map. It is accessed via a driveway (through school grounds) on the west side or directly from a local road via a gate in the east of the northern boundary. A gravel path leads from both access points to and around the functioning church which occupies a position north of centre of the enclosure. The ground surface is generally quite even, but it undulates on the west side and eventually drops away quite drastically within the enclosed area on this side. The grass is short throughout the enclosure. Gravestones date from 17th-21st century.
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest, attesting to the long-standing ecclesiastical presence in the area. The site of the 7th century foundation of St Moling, Bishop of Ferns. No visible traces of this early site survive or the later medieval abbey. Features of note are a several graveslabs one dating to the late 12th century and the other dating to the early 17th century. The graveyard contains various other cut-stone grave markers from the 18th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: Schools Project 1970s
Location: Co. Kildare Online Electronic History Journal and www.irishfamilyresearch.co.uk

Website Development: Kildare Web Services