Ref: K066

Fontstown Cemetery

 
Townland: Fontstown Lower Parish: Narraghmore
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 274388(E), 200725(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD031-014001- Graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Stone wall in good condition. Stone gate piers of granite. Double gates. Two stiles. Hedge to the west and north sides. Coping stones very large.
 
Natural Heritage Details: Mown grass, trees and ivy on the church. There is moss and lichen on the headstones. There is common fern on the walls.
 
Description: 18th to 20th century headstones. They are Celtic, recumbent, kerb set, metal and simple mortars. Marked as burying ground on the 6" First Edition map from 1837, but the church marked in ruins on the 25" Second Edition map from 1897-1913.
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest. The upstanding remains are of a church which dates to the 18th or early 19th century however the site has older antecedents and the church was referred to as 'Villa Fonti' and was Anglo-Norman in origin and was in ruins in the late 13th century. The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 18th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Location: Kildare Local Authority Archive, in Newbridge

Website Development: Kildare Web Services