Ref: K070

Confey Church

 
Townland: Confey Parish: Maynooth
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 200958(E), 237364(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B06-03 Confey Church Ruins Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD006-00302-- Graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Low hedge in poor condition. Breached in the North-east corner, but a ditch here.
 
Natural Heritage Details: Trees/vegetation throughout disturbing the headstones. There are overgrown brambles/briars covering 10-20% of the church. Lichens cover about 50% of the headstones. Ivy covers about 25% of the church and trees. There is a blackbird in the church.
 
Description: The site is a rural area, surrounded by pasture fields on the north and west sides, and modern cemetery on the east and south sides. Most the headstones are upright, but a couple are leaning. The headstones are from the 18th to early 20th century. Undulating ground surface with bumps. It is slightly higher within the graveyard than the ground around. There appears to have been a stone slab path along the southern wall of the church, but it is totally overgrown now. There is surface bone along the eastern gable of the church. There are no gates here, but there are gates to the modern cemetery, which this graveyard is in the north-west corner of. There is a castle to the north-east. During the flu pandemic of 1918/19 many local children died; they were quickly buried in mass graves in the oldest part of the cemetery. There is no headstone to commemorate them and we have not confirmed this assertion. On the 6" First Edition map from 1837, but the church is in ruins on the 25" Second Edition map from 1897-1913.
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest, attesting to the long-standing ecclesiastical presence in the area. The church, which consists of the remains of a nave and chancel, is pre-Norman in date, though much of the existing structure is probably late medieval. The walls are of coursed limestone masonry. There are two windows in the N and S walls of the chancel which have external tympana. The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 18th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: John Colgan
Location: Co. Kildare Online Electronic History Journal

Website Development: Kildare Web Services