Ref: K071

Donaghmore Church and Graveyard

 
Townland: Donaghmore Parish: Donaghmore
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 296339(E), 237259(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B06-01 Donaghmore Church Ruins Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD006-005004- Graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Rubble stone wall in poor condition. It is intact, but is overgrown. It approximately 1m high and has 'Soldier' coping.
 
Natural Heritage Details: Cypress and pine trees, and vegetation throughout disturbing the headstones. Semi natural grassland cover about half of the graveyard. Overgrown brambles/briars cover about 25% of the church ruin. The grass is mown around one kerb setting. Lichens cover about 50% of the walls and headstones and ivy covers about 75% of the walls, headstones and ground. There was a robin inside the church.
 
Description: Rural, surrounded by pasture fields. Most headstones are upright, but a handful are leaning and broken. The headstones date from the 19th to 20th centuries. The site is located in undulating countryside, but it is higher within the graveyard that the ground around. There is a path mown into the grass around the inside of the boundary wall, and the bushes are also trimmed here. There is a laneway through the field. There is one locked gate in the south-west corner, but there is a stile. It is on the 6" First Edition map from 1837, but the church is marked in ruins on the 25" Second Edition map from 1897-1913.
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest, attesting to the long-standing ecclesiastical presence in the area and was inscribed on the Register of Historic Monuments in 1984. A circular enclosure defined by an earthen bank are visible in the N-E-S and is cut by a railway to the N. The enclosing wall of the graveyard is 19th century. The church consists of a nave and chancel (overgrown) of uncoursed limestone blocks. Features of note are an ancient roadway which runs S from the graveyard and a belfry in the W gable.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services