Ref: K074

Nurney Graveyard

 
Townland: Nurney Parish: Carbury & Dunforth (Nurney)
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 267213(E), 238031(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD003-008002 - graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Concrete wall. Single iron gate entrance
 
Natural Heritage Details: Young trees along boundary wall; overgrown with brambles along NE boundary; lichen on walls and headstones; ivy on walls.
 
Description: The graveyard is located in pasture land beside a farmhouse. It is marked on the 1st edition OS map from 1837 as 'Graveyard' and 'Site of Church'. The later OS 25 inch map (1897-1913) names the site as 'Nurney Grave Yard' and 'Church site of'. The headstones date from the 18th-21st centuries. Headstone types are: rounded, Celtic style and kerbed. The stone used is predominantly limestone, but also white marble and polished granite. There is a mound in the centre of the cemetery and the ground is generally uneven, indicative of earlier human activity. There are no visible remains of the church. The gate into the graveyard is located in the SW, also a foot stile.
 
Appraisal: The site is of archaeological and historic interest as the site of a church, which has no visible upstanding remains. The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 18th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services