Ref: K077

Laraghbryan Cemetery

 
Townland: Laraghbryan East Parish: Maynooth
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 292310(E), 237722(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B05-01 Laraghbryan Church (in ruins) Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD005-009003- Graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Rubble stone wall in good condition. Intact, but overgrown in places. Approximately 1m high with crenellations. There is also a wall between the old graveyard and the modern cemetery, but there are new graves in the old graveyard too.
 
Natural Heritage Details: Pine trees and vegetation along boundaries and old path. The grass is regularly mown. There is lichens on 10-20% of the walls and ivy on about 25% of the walls and headstones. There are also pigeons in the cemetery.
 
Description: The site is in a rural setting. Between 20-30 headstones are leaning in the modern cemetery. Most are leaning in the old graveyard to the west, south of the church. About ten of these headstone are broken. The headstones in the older part are mostly 19th century, and the headstones in the modern cemetery are 20th to 21st century. The ground surface is level, but with bumps around the church. There is a tarmac path going through the whole graveyard and more tarmac path in the modern cemetery. The old graveyard has mostly gravel path, which are covered with moss. There are two unlocked gates in the north wall and steps over the south wall. It is on the 6" First Edition map from 1837 and the 25" Second Edition from 1897-1913, where the church is marked in ruins.
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest, attesting to the long-standing ecclesiastical presence in the area. The ruined church consists of a nave and chancel with a tower attached at the W. The church has 14th and 15th century features such as opposing doorways (N and S walls) and pointed arch windows. A 16th century ogee-headed window is located in the S wall. The extant church is located on the site of a pre-Norman church of which no remains survive. Features of note are the intramural staircase in the tower.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: "The Association for the Preservation of Memorials of the Dead, in Ireland"
Location: Irish Family Research

Website Development: Kildare Web Services