Ref: K080

Killsaintlucan

 
Townland: Blackhall (Newtown Ed) Parish: Rathmore
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 293279(E), 215531(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD024-013001
 
Boundary Treatment: Modern wooden fence to the south, modern wire fence on all other sides
 
Natural Heritage Details: 30-50 mature and young trees lining the outside of the boundaries; site fully covered by semi natural grassland; boundaries are overgrown with brambles and ivy; lichens visible on all headstones.
 
Description: K080 is located in a rural area. It is marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 OS 25" map. The site is accessed through a field which is itself accessed directly from a local road. A gate in the centre of the southern boundary leads from the field in to the burial area. The ground surface is quite uneven and the grass is quite tall. The ground level within the burial area is slightly higher than the surrounding area. There are possible E-W oriented structural remains in the centre. They measure 10x5m approx. and have a slightly oval appearance. However, the remains are completely covered with grass and may in fact be rectangular. The area within the structural remains is lower than the rest of the graveyard. All visible gravestones are south of this possible structure. Only two inscriptions are clearly legible; one from 1764, the other from 1905. Local knowledge indicates that K080 was a famine graveyard connected with the fever hospital in Naas. Bodies were delivered by the cartload, so there must be many more unmarked graves.
 
Appraisal: The site is of archaeological, architectural and historic interest. The remains of the church are barely visible in the centre of the graveyard. The boundaries are modern and in good condition, but the burial area is covered with long grass. The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 18th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services