Ref: K082

Kilberry Cemetery/St. Bairy's Church

 
Townland: Kilberry Parish: Kilberry
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 265441(E), 198648(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B30-03 (church), B30-04 (abbey) Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD030-006001
 
Boundary Treatment: Rough coursed stone wall, 1.5m high approx
 
Natural Heritage Details: 3 mature trees south of church and 1-5 young trees dispersed throughout; full coverage by mown grass (except paths and a limited number of plots); lichens visible on 70% of gravestones; extensive ivy coverage on church ruin and limited ivy coverage on trees and boundaries.
 
Description: K082 is located in a rural setting at the end of a lane off the R417. It is marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 OS 25" map. The associated church is described as being in ruins on the latter map. The site is accessed via a (locked) gate in the middle of the south side with an adjacent style. The enclosure is effectively divided into two parts by the ruins of a large church. There is a tower (4x4m approx.) attached to the east end of the northern church wall. A path leads through the gate through the church and into the northern part of the enclosure. The ground surface is quite even off the paths and the grass is very neatly kept. Most graves are south of the church. The church itself contains 19th and 20th century gravestones. The area north of the church contains 20th and 21st century gravestones.
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest, attesting to the long-standing ecclesiastical presence in the area. The E, S and W walls of the church survive. A square tower abuts the N wall . Features of note are a the buttressed walls on all four corners of the church. The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 19th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services