Ref: K083

Davidstown

 
Townland: Davidstown Parish:
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 280180(E), 203120(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B32-05 Davidstown Church and Ruins Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD032-005001 - graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Stone wall, overgrown with ivy and vegetation throughout.
 
Natural Heritage Details: Several mature ewe trees throughout; heavy ivy growth on the church; semi-natural grassland; overgrown throughout; lichen and moss on headstones and boundary wall.
 
Description: The grave yard is located in crop fields. An iron gate and foot stile is located on the road from where there is walk of about 100m. A gate and foot stile are located in the graveyard wall. The 1st edition OS map (1837) shows a sub-rectangular area marked as 'Walls of Church'. The later OS 25 inch edition (1897-1913) marks the site as 'Church in ruins and Grave Yard'. The visible headstones date from the 19th-20th centuries. The headstone types are: rounded and kerbed. The stone type is limestone and polished granite. The church is covered entirely by ivy. All four sides of the church survive almost intact. There are headstone within the church.
 
Appraisal: The site is of archaeological, architectural and historic interest. The ruined church dates to the 19th century similar to that at Fontstown and is heavily clad in ivy. Features of note are a the random coursed limestone wall, wrought iron gate. On the roadside is a stone foot stile and iron gate with a small cross in the centre.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: "The Association for the Preservation of Memorials of the Dead, in Ireland"
Location: www.irishfamilyresearch.co.uk

Website Development: Kildare Web Services