Ref: K084

Corballis Church

 
Townland: Corballis Parish: Kineagh
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 282277(E), 186516(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B38-02 (church) Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD038-048001
 
Boundary Treatment: Modern field boundary only
 
Natural Heritage Details: 5-10 mature trees just south of structural remains; site covered fully by semi-natural grassland; limited ivy and bramble coverage on and around structural remains.
 
Description: K084 is located in a field used for grazing cattle. It is not marked on the 1st edition OS 6" map, but it is on the 1897-1913 OS 25" map. On this map, it is marked as being south of the modern road, but the RMP location is north of the road in the area of the ruined church. The site is accessed via a field gate directly from the road. There is no surviving boundary specifically associated with the graveyard. There are no visible grave markers. Structural stone is scattered around the site. An E-W running wall survives to a length of 3m approx. and to a height of 2m approx. This probably represents the remains of the southern wall of the church. A very low bank north of the wall is probably associated with the same structure. The ground surface is quite uneven due to rubble.
 
Appraisal: The site is of archaeological and historic interest. The barely discernable remains of a church survive in the form of its foundations. The graveyard was levelled in around 1970.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services