Ref: K091

Killeencormack

 
Townland: Colbinstown Parish: Davidstown
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 283196(E), 198205(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B32-03 Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD032-044
 
Boundary Treatment: Rough coursed stone wall, 1.5m high approx.
 
Natural Heritage Details: 30-40 mature d30-40 young trees mostly lining boundaries; mown grass covers 80% of the site; lichens visible on 100% of headstones; ivy on boundary walls, mature trees, ground surface and some gravestones.
 
Description: K091 is located in a rural setting. It is marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 OS 25" map. The latter map also has a an Ogham stone marked within the graveyard enclosure. The field in which the graveyard is located is accessed from a local road via a gate which is apparently specifically intended to provide access to the graveyard (not a standard field gate). There is no path leading to the walled enclosure. The walled enclosure is accessed via a (locked) gate just west of centre in the northern boundary wall with adjacent stone steps leading over the wall into the enclosure. Ground level is higher inside the enclosure and it rises further still to the centre of the enclosure which is occupied by a flat topped hill. There is another plateau further down the slope on the NE side. There are no paths or structures within the enclosure and the ground surface is uneven largely due to the presence of animal burrows. Gravestones are mostly located on the flat hilltop, but there are also quite a lot around the circular rim at the bottom of the slope. Most date from 18th and 19th century (only one 20th century gravestone visible) There is one table tomb on the summit of the hill.
 
Appraisal: The site is of archaeological and historic interest. No trace of the church survives save for a fragment of a roof finial. Features of note are a several ogham stones, a pillar stone with an incised figure, two cross bases and several cross fragments. The boundary has a well made and maintained randomly coursed limestone wall inside of which are mature beech and sycamore trees. The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 18th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: Brian Cantwell 1978
Location: Co. Kildare Online Historic Journal and www.irishfamilyresearch.co.uk

Website Development: Kildare Web Services