Ref: K093

Ardscull Graveyard

 
Townland: Ardscull Parish: Moone
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 273713(E), 196479(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD035-012004
 
Boundary Treatment: Rough coursed stone wall 1.5m high approx.
 
Natural Heritage Details: 2 mature and 3-5 young trees dispersed throughout; semi-natural grassland covers the entire site; lichens visible on all headstones; limited ivy coverage on boundary walls.
 
Description: K093 is located within a cornfield accessed directly from a local road. It is marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 OS 25" map. It is a roughly circular enclosure surrounded by a rough coursed stone wall. Stone steps in the NW of the boundary lead up and over the wall. There are no gates, no pathways and no internal structures. The area within the enclosure is higher than outside and it rises up from all sides to the middle of the enclosure. The ground surface is quite uneven and the grass is quite long. Most visible gravestones are in the southern half of the enclosure on top of or close to the top of the hill. The only two clearly legible gravestones date from the 18th century.
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological interest, attesting to the long-standing ecclesiastical presence in the area. The medieval church is poorly preserved with only the foundation levels surviving. Features of note are the possible ecclesiastical enclosures identified from aerial photographs.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services