Ref: K095

Kyle Graveyard

 
Townland: Blackrath Parish: Narraghmore
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 281369(E), 200140(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B32-07 (graveyard) Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD032-031001
 
Boundary Treatment: Rough coursed stone wall, 1.5m high approx.
 
Natural Heritage Details: 5-10 mature trees dispersed throughout; site fully covered by semi-natural grassland; brambles dispersed throughout and on boundary walls; lichens visible on 100% of gravestones; extensive ivy cover on boundary walls.
 
Description: K095 is located in a cornfield which is directly accessed from the N9. It is marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 OS 25" map. The former also records a ruined church while the latter records the site of a church. Access to the enclosure is via stone steps which lead up and over the wall in the middle of the south side. There are no internal paths or structures. The ground level is higher inside than outside the enclosure. The ground level inside is very uneven and overgrown. Gravestones are dispersed throughout the enclosure, but most visible examples are in the eastern half. Legible gravestones date from 18th and 19th century.
 
Appraisal: The site is of archaeological and historic interest. No trace of the church survives. The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 18th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: Schools Project
Location: Co. Kildare Online Historic Journal

Website Development: Kildare Web Services