Ref: K097

Ardkill

 
Townland: Ardkill Parish: Carbury & Dunforth (Ardkill)
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 271226(E), 234972(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD008-009002 - graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Stone wall with 'soldier' coping
 
Natural Heritage Details: Mature trees along E boundary; young trees in E side of church; semi-natural grassland throughout; overgrown with brambles along boundary wall and around church; lichen on walls and headstones.
 
Description: The graveyard is located in pastureland. It is shown on the 1st edition OS map of 1837 as 'Church and Graveyard'. The headstones date from the 18th-20th centuries. Several of the 18th century headstones have been restored to reasonable success. The headstone types are: rounded and cross. The headstones are of limestone. There are several earthen banks S of the graveyard which are likely to have formed part of the ecclesiastical enclosure. The ground within the graveyard is uneven. The gable ends of the church survive and the building measured about 21m by 10m. There is a gate in the SW corner of the boundary wall. On the road there is a gate with a cross on it and a foot stile. The trees/vegetation are having a negative impact on parts of the graveyard.
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest. The remains of the gable ends survive and traces of the N and S walls. Features of note are the buttressed E gable and a towerhouse to the S. The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 18th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: Betty Carey & Lucy Greany
Location: County Archive (to be deposited)

Website Development: Kildare Web Services