Ref: K099

Rathbride Graveyard

 
Townland: Rathbride Parish: Newbridge (Tully)
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 275137(E), 215888(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD022-007
 
Boundary Treatment: Rough coursed stone wall, 1.5m high.
 
Natural Heritage Details: 20-30 mature and 5-10 young trees mostly lining boundaries; full coverage by semi-natural grassland; boundaries overgrown with brambles and ivy; lichens visible on all gravestones; ivy on mature trees.
 
Description: The site is located in a rural setting off the R415. It is marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 OS 25 " map. There is a gate in the northern boundary wall, but it is inaccessible, as are the adjacent stone steps. The site is accessed by climbing over a broken section of the wall. The enclosed area is quite overgrown with long grass. The ground surface is uneven and undulates severely. There are no paths or structures within the enclosure. A very large area is enclosed relative to the small number of visible gravemarkers, which are isolated to a high point at the east end of the enclosure. If this is the only burial area it is uncertain where the original enclosure would have stopped. It could possibly have been where the ground level drops away sharply to the west.
 
Appraisal: The site is of archaeological interest. No trace of a church survives. The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 18th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services