Ref: K100

Oughterard Cemetery

 
Townland: Oughterard Parish: Oughterard
 
Denomination: Mixed Diocese: Dublin (RC) / Meath & Kildare (C of I)
 
Grid Ref: 295731(E), 226205(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B15-01 (round tower and church), B15-01A (round tower and church) Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD015-007004 National Monument-Ref. 190
 
Boundary Treatment: Rough coursed stone wall with rough crenellations in excellent condition. No ivy cover. 2-3m high
 
Natural Heritage Details: Approximately 5 mature and 5-10 young trees dispersed throughout; mown grass covers the whole site apart from the ruined church; lichen on 95% of headstones; ivy located on mature trees and a small number of gravestones.
 
Description: K100 is located in a rural setting. The church, round tower and graveyard are marked on the 1st edition OS 6" map. The structures are marked as being in ruins on the 1897-1913 OS 25" map. A gated gravel driveway leads NW from a local road and ends outside the walled cemetery enclosure. There is a (locked) gate towards the north of the eastern boundary wall. Stone steps north of the gate lead up and over the boundary wall. There are no internal pathways. The ground surface undulating. A vault with visible entrance is located NW of the ruined church which occupies the centre of the enclosure. Another inaccessible vault abuts the west end of the southern wall of the church and contains the remains of Arthur Guinness. The church is generally rectangular (22x5m approx.), but has an extension in the middle of the south side. The ruins of a round tower stand near the SW corner of the enclosure.
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest, attesting to the long-standing ecclesiastical presence in the area and has national monument status. The graveyard is enclosed by a rubble stone wall with a gate and a stile in the east wall and a stile in the north wall. The site of an Early Christian monastic site. The present church is probably built on the site of the earlier monastic church consists of a nave and vaulted chancel with a rectangular turret. Both gables and walls of the church survive but the walls have collapsed a bit.Features of note are the round tower (H 10m)a bell cote in the W gable. The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 18th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest. The remains of Arthur Guinness are interred within a family vault. A number of the headstone are leaning, broken or weathered. The round tower has been supported. The graounds are maintained.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: "The Association for the Preservation of Memorials of the Dead, in Ireland"
Location: www.irishfamilyresearch.co.uk

Website Development: Kildare Web Services