Ref: K103

Whitechurch

 
Townland: Whitechurch Parish: Kill (Whitechurch)
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 293147(E), 227232(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B14-09 Ruined Castle and Church and Baptismal font Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD014-022004 - graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Stone wall; double iron gate entrance with foot stile.
 
Natural Heritage Details: Mature trees along N boundary wall; Overgrown with brambles around church; mown grass; herbicide used around headstones.
 
Description: The graveyard is located in arable land. It is marked on the 1st edition OS map from 1837 as 'Castle and Church' and 'Grave Yard'. The church is located in the NW corner of a rectangular-shaped graveyard. The headstones date from the 18th-21st centuries. A good many of the headstones are broken or are simple grave markers which may have been used as part of famine interments. The ground is uneven consisting of many humps and hollows. The church and towerhouse are located on a low mound measuring about 27m by 6m. The E gable wall of the church survives and most of the towerhouse.
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest. The present remains consist of a church and tower, traces of enclosures and a holy well. The walls of the church stand to their full height at E, N and S. Features of note are a rectangular font located in the church. The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 18th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: "The Association for the Preservation of Memorials of the Dead, in Ireland"
Location: www.irishfamilyresearch.co.uk

Website Development: Kildare Web Services