Ref: K104

Carbury Church

 
Townland: Carbury Parish: Carbury & Dunforth (Carbury)
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 268691(E), 234963(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B08-02 Remains of Church Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD008-001006 - graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Stone wall with 'soldier' coping
 
Natural Heritage Details: Young trees along W boundary; semi-natural grassland around headstones; overgrown brambles around boundary walls; regularly mown
 
Description: The graveyard is located on the N side of Carbury Hill (142m) in pastureland. The site is marked on the 1st edition OS map of 1837 as 'Church and Graveyard'. There is a castle and fortified house adjacent to the site to the north. The church in the grounds of the graveyard was built by Henry Conley in 1705. The church is well preserved. The headstones date from the 18th-20th centuries. The headstone types are: rounded, obelisk and monument. The stone used is mostly limestone with occasional white marble. The 18th century mausoleum is well preserved with all sides intact. The structure has stone finials on each corner. There are two gates at the SE side with foot stiles over the wall.
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest. The church is late medieval represented by a W gable with a small bell cote. The site is located near to a castle and two other burial grounds all of which are located on Carbury Hill which appears to have been the site of human occupation and activity for several millennia. The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 18th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: "The Association for the Preservation of Memorials of the Dead, in Ireland"
Location: www.irishfamilyresearch.co.uk

Website Development: Kildare Web Services