Ref: K105

Grange Cemetery

 
Townland: Grange Parish: Kilcock
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 283645(E), 239453(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD004-026003 - graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Earthen bank and ditch
 
Natural Heritage Details: Semi-natural grassland; water in ditch surrounding the graveyard; lichen on headstones and stones on the mound
 
Description: The graveyard is located in a pasture field about 50m from the edge of the road. It is not marked on the 1837 map but appears on the 25 inch map (1897-1913) as 'graveyard (disused)' and 'church site of'. A rectangular mound survives with a lot of stone in it (remains of church?), measuring about 20m by 14m and is orientated E-W. There is a single headstone in the graveyard. The headstone is leaning, dates to the 18th century and is made of limestone. The mound is about 1m in height with two gates located in the NE corner. There is a children's burial ground located directly to the north of the graveyard
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological l and historic interest, with the site being inscribed on the Register of Historic Monuments in 1992. A vague trace of the church survives in the form of low banks in the centre of the site. A single uninscribed headstone stands in the centre of the church site.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services