Ref: K106

Killeighter

 
Townland: Killeighter Parish: Kilcock
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 283585(E), 242454(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD004-031003 - graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Stone wall.
 
Natural Heritage Details: mature deciduous trees within the graveyard; lichen on walls; mown grass
 
Description: Full access to this site was not possible as a bull was in the field. The graveyard is located in pasture field and is surrounded by a stone enclosing wall. Several repairs to the wall can be seen in places. There are no paths leading to or within the graveyard. On the 1837 OS map the graveyard is marked but there is no path shown. On the later Os 25 inch map (1897-1913) there is a path marked leading down to the road. There is one gate in the SW of the boundary wall. Two headstones can be seen form the next field.
 
Appraisal: The site is of archaeological and historic interest. No visible trace of the church survives. Features of note are a holy well located in the centre of the graveyard and a children's burial ground.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: B. Gilligan
Location: Co. Kildare Online Electronic History Journal (to be published)

Website Development: Kildare Web Services