Ref: K108

Barrettstown

 
Townland: Barrettstown Parish: Oldconnell
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 283011(E), 219136(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B18-04 Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD018-019003
 
Boundary Treatment: Wooden fence to north and west, River Liffey to south, no eastern boundary
 
Natural Heritage Details: 100+ mature trees dispersed throughout and 100+ young trees lining boundaries; River Liffey marks the southern boundary; mown grass everywhere except paths and some plots; lichens visible on 80% of headstones, ivy on ground surface NE of the path and on mature trees.
 
Description: The site is located in a woodland setting on the north bank of the River Liffey. It is marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 OS 25" map. A church is marked on the former. The site of a church and a holy well are marked on the latter. There are two gates from a local road into the enclosure in the northern boundary, one at the east end and one at the west end. The eastern gate provides direct access to St. Patrick's Holy Well which is covered by a rough coursed stone construction. A path runs around the inside of the boundaries and joins the two access points. The ground surface is generally quite even, but there is a raised terrace in the centre of the enclosure with a stone altar in the middle. There are several old, worn gravestones on this terrace. Gravestones date from 19th and 20th century. There is a 19th century O'Kelly family vault at the east end of the site.
 
Appraisal: The site is of archaeological and historic interest. No trace of the church survives save for its located marked by a prominent rise in the centre of the graveyard. The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 19th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services