Ref: K110

Carrick Church

 
Townland: Carrick Parish: Ballyna (Carrick)
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 264092(E), 236822(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B02-05 Carrick Church (in ruins) Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD002-010003 - graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Stone wall
 
Natural Heritage Details: Mature trees along W side; young trees along W side; overgrown with brambles along church walls; lichen on walls and headstones; ivy on walls (25%)
 
Description: The Graveyard is located in pastureland. It is marked on the 1st edition OS map from 1837 as 'Carrick Church' and 'Grave Yard'. 'Carrick Castle' is marked adjacent to the graveyard to the NW. The later OS 25 inch map (1897-1913) shows a semi-circular graveyard fronting onto the road with a rectangular shaped church. The headstones date from the 19th-21st centuries. The headstone types are: rounded, table, kerbed, wall mounted plaques and Celtic style. The stone types are limestone, polished granite. The remains of the medieval parish church of Carrick is located within the graveyard. The church is well preserved but is missing the E gable end. The ground is very uneven underfoot. There is one gate located on the NW side and foot stile. The trees on the W side of the burial ground are having a negative impact on several of the headstones.
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest, attesting to the long-standing ecclesiastical presence in the area. The church (19th century) is rectangular with an entrance in the N wall and two ogee headed opes in the S wall. It was substantially rebuilt in the 1960s.The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 19th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: Seamus Rafferty
Location: County Archive, Newbridge

Website Development: Kildare Web Services