Ref: K113

Kilrainy Burial Ground

 
Townland: Kilrainy Parish: Ballyna (Kilrainy)
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 266217(E), 239902(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD003-002003 - graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Stone wall
 
Natural Heritage Details: Mature trees along boundary; mown grass; ivy on headstone and walls.
 
Description: The graveyard is located in pastureland and is roughly circular in plan. It is marked on the 1st edition OS map from 1837 as 'Site of Chapel' and 'Grave Yard' on the grounds of Kilrainy House. The later OS 25 inch map (1897-1913) names the site as 'Kilrainy Burial Ground' and 'Chapel site of'. The headstones date from the 18th-20th centuries. Most of the headstones are upstanding, several are leaning and a few are broken. The headstone types are: kerbed and rounded. The stone types are: limestone, white marble and polished granite. There is an earthen bank inside the boundary wall. Several earthworks can be seen around the burial ground which are the remains of the original ecclesiastical enclosure. There is a single gate into the graveyard in the E wall.
 
Appraisal: The site is of archaeological interest. No visible trace of church survives. The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 18th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: Betty Carey & Lucy Greany
Location: Planned but not yet carried out.

Website Development: Kildare Web Services