Ref: K118

Sherlockstown

 
Townland: Sherlockstown Parish: Naas
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 290321(E), 224565(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B14-06 Socket Stones for Crosses Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD014-042003
 
Boundary Treatment: Stone wall on north side, railings with stone pillars at the corners on other sides. 1-1.5m high.
 
Natural Heritage Details: No trees within enclosed area; lichens visible on all headstones; ivy covering ground surface with a limited amount on boundary walls.
 
Description: The site is located on a private estate in a rural area. Access is by special permission only on private roads. The graveyard is marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 OS 25" map. The site is small, but is a double enclosure. The outer enclosure is entered via a gate in the western boundary. The base of a cross (which apparently does not belong there) is the only feature in this area. The inner enclosure is accessed via a gate in the southern boundary. There are no paths in either of the enclosures, but the ground is even. Five decorative slab stones dating from 19th and 20th century are visible. There is also a larger monument surmounted by a Celtic cross at the west end. There is an alcove in the north boundary wall containing all that is left of a local 13th century church which was destroyed c.1600. These remains include a font.
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest. The church was levelled prior to 1837. No trace survives. Features of note are a rectangular font from the 12th or 13th centuries and the bases of two wayside crosses. The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 19th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services