Ref: K119

Duneany Graveyard

 
Townland: Duneany Parish: Duneany
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 269430(E), 208310(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B27-03 Ruined Church and walled graveyard Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD027-012001- Graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Stone wall and wooden fencing, earthen bank and hedgerow.
 
Natural Heritage Details: Beech, ash and alder trees. Semi natural grassland. Lichens and moss on the headstones.
 
Description: Dates from the 18th to 20th century. There are Celtic and kerb set headstones. There is also a baptismal font in the church, of granite. There are also some headstones ilocated in the church. The headstones are randomly laid out. There are limestone and metal crosses. The path is overgrown. On the 6" First Edition map from 1837, but the church marked in ruins on the 25" Second Edition map from 1897-1913.
 
Appraisal: The site is of archaeological and historic interest. The church is a simple structure of course limestone. Portions of the N, E and S walls are standing. Features of note are a granite font of 13th or 14th centuries. The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 18th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: Mario Corrigan
Location: Co. Kildare Online Electronic History Journal

Website Development: Kildare Web Services