Ref: K123

Nicholastown Cemetery

 
Townland: Nicholastown (Grangemellon ED) Parish: Athy
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 272850(E), 191811(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD035-036001 - graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Rough coursed stone wall with internal bank. Wall is 1.5m high approx.
 
Natural Heritage Details: 15-20 mature and 5-10 young trees dispersed throughout; 90% coverage by mown grass; lichens visible on 90% of headstones; limited ivy cover on boundary walls.
 
Description: The site is located in a rural setting off the R418. It is marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 OS 25" map. The former records a church within the burial enclosure, while the latter indicates that it is the site of a church. A laneway leads from the R418 to the graveyard. There is a (locked) gate at the north end of the west side with a smaller pedestrian gate beside it to the south. The gates open onto a gravel path which leads all around the edge of the enclosure. The burial area is higher than the path. The ground surface off the path is even and the grass is short. There is no complete building within the enclosure, but in the NW quadrant there is an E-W oriented wall which is 3m long and approx. 1m high. It is likely to represent the fragmentary remains of a church. Most gravestones date from 19th and 20th century.
 
Appraisal: The site is of archaeological and historic interest. The foundations of a small structure stand within the graveyard. The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 19th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: Unknown
Location: Co. Kildare Online Electronic History Journal

Website Development: Kildare Web Services