Ref: K124

Cloney

 
Townland: Cloney Parish: Kilberry
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 264263(E), 201644(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B30-06 Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD030-003001
 
Boundary Treatment: Concrete posts and wire fencing
 
Natural Heritage Details: Ash and elder trees; ivy on church ruins; full coverage of semi-natural grassland; lichens visible on all headstones.
 
Description: The site is located on private farmland. It is marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 OS 25" map. On the latter map, the associated church is described as being in ruins. The site is approached from a farmyard. A path leads from the farmyard driveway to a gate in the northern enclosure boundary. The ground surface is uneven. The ground slopes gently up to the west. Part of the side wall of the church survives covered with ivy. Grave markers date from 19th and 20th century. Gravemarkers take the form of headstones, Celtic crosses, metal crosses and other simple grave markers.
 
Appraisal: The site is of some archaeological, architectural and historic interest. The church consists of the W gable and some lower courses. The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 19th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services